28 hurt as bus dives onto bike lane

Issues on road bully, freak accidents, boom gates blocking the road, driving skill, road safety campaign, seat belt and etc...

28 hurt as bus dives onto bike lane

Postby admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:30 am

KUALA LUMPUR: A RapidKL bus went out of control and plunged off the Kampung Kerinchi ramp onto the motorcycle lane, leaving 28 passengers hurt, six of them seriously.

Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid said the bus was travelling from Shah Alam to the capital when the incident happened at 1pm near the Jalan Pantai Baru junction.

“The driver lost control when trying to avoid a car and crashed through the steel barricade. It plunged 4m onto the motorcycle lane, completely blocking the lane,” he said yesterday.

Three ambulances from Universiti Malaya Medical Centre and St John’s Ambulance took the injured passengers to the hospital. Twenty-two of the passengers were given outpatient treatment.

The other passengers had fractured hands and legs. Of the injured passengers, 16 were men.

Passenger Juriah Salleh, 37, said several passengers sitting at the back were flung forward during the incident.

She heard shouts and screams before losing consciousness.

“It was a really terrifying experience. When I came to, I was being helped by the rescuers out of the bus,” said the housewife who was not hurt.

Meanwhile, the bus driver, in his late 30s, said a blue Satria car was driven “very aggressively” just before the incident occurred.

The car tried to overtake the bus and forced the big vehicle to the side of the road.

“I tried to avoid crashing into him, but when I braked, I lost control,” said the driver who suffered minor cuts to his head.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Road Safety, Road Bullies, Boom Gates & Accidents