Abolish toll and road tax

New highway, old highway, expressway, speed trap, highway rest area, R&R, emergency lane, toll fee, smart tag, touch & go, tow truck services and tow charges and everything else about highway...

Abolish toll and road tax

Postby admin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Selangor MCA is proposing to the Government to slash or abolish road tax and do away with tolls on roads in the state altogether.

State party chairman Datuk Ong Tee Keat said this would help ease the burden of the public as a result of the petrol and diesel price hikes.

He said the Selangor MCA exco had unanimously agreed to the two proposals after taking into account the sentiments and feelings of the people on the ground and their “level of discomfort” following the price increases.

“I am the Transport Minister but this does not mean that I cannot voice out the concerns of the grassroots. A minister can also be sensitive and in touch with the feelings of the grassroots,” he said yesterday after chairing the two-hour state exco meeting.

Ong said regardless of whether or not people voted for Barisan Nasional in the general election, they were still the rakyat and taxpayers and “we must be sensitive to their views, grouses and criticisms.”

On its proposal to eliminate toll on the roads, he pointed out that it seemed like Selangor had the most number of tolled roads in the country.

Ong said that as Transport Minister, he would forward the proposals to the Cabinet for consideration.

He added that any decision on the matter was not his to make as it involved a number of ministries including the Finance Ministry and thus no minister could decide on it unilaterally.

Last week, the Government raised petrol prices by 78 sen to RM2.70 and diesel went by RM1 to RM2.58 per litre as it said it could no longer afford to heavily subsidise local prices in view of the sky-high international oil prices.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Highway, Expressway, Rest Area, Toll & Tow