Beware the bogus used car dealers, says MCA’s Chong

All about buying car, new car, second hand car and used car... the car loan, servicing the loan, hire purchase... car repossession, car repossessor and getting back repossessed car...

Beware the bogus used car dealers, says MCA’s Chong

Postby admin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:05 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Bogus used car dealers are on the prowl, “buying” cars from unwitting sellers, paying for them with post-dated cheques and then absconding.

Anyone who wanted to sell cars to middlemen or others claiming to be used car dealers should only hand over their vehicles after receiving full payment, MCA Public Services and Complaints Department head Datuk Michael Chong said.

He said several sellers had handed over their cars on receiving the post-dated cheque or a bill of sale, only to find out later that they had been duped.

The cars, in turn, are quickly sold or transferred to another name, leaving the original owners with no car but saddled with loan payments.

“Check with the bank first and only release your car after getting full payment. And go to established used car dealers who are members of the Used Car Association,” he told a press conference yesterday.

Chong said at least five victims were duped over the last two years by a man from Cheras who gave them post-dated cheques.

“The conman quickly transferred the car ownership or sold the car within a few days,” he said.

The cheques bounced and the unsuspecting victims had to lodge police reports.

Chong said the conman claimed two more victims several weeks ago.

He also highlighted the case of a 39-year-old cargo supervisor who is on the verge of bankruptcy after being duped by a car dealer.

After losing his high-paying job with a foreign company, M. Yananden was forced to sell his Nissan Frontier truck as he could no longer afford the monthly instalments.

The car dealer had promised to settle the outstanding bank loan but later told Yananden that the car had gone “missing”.

Yananden, who is married with three children, lodged a police report against the dealer last year. He said the bank wanted him to service the loan.

“I have a job now, but I can’t afford to pay the RM911 monthly instalments on my RM2,200 salary. The bank rejected my payment proposal and wants to declare me bankrupt,” said Yananden, who has sought Chong’s help.

Chong urged anyone spotting Yananden’s silver-coloured truck (registration plate WNN 7545) to call him at 03-2161 5678 or contact the nearest police station.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Buy new car, second hand car, vehicle loan & vehicle repossession etc