KUALA LUMPUR: Traffic started building up in the city over the weekend as city dwellers returned home after the Chinese New Year break.
PLUS Expressway Bhd (PLUS) spokesman said those who had balik kampung began making their trip back in large numbers on PLUS expressways from 10am on Saturday.
“For today (yesterday), traffic has built up at the toll plazas entering the city since noon.
“All around, traffic on the highway was generally slow but moving,” the spokesman said, adding that there was congestion from Senawang to Nilai and from Sungai Perak to the Jelapang toll plaza.
On Saturday and Sunday, about 2.2 million vehicles were recorded exiting the PLUS toll plazas at various points.
Elsewhere, it was slow from Kuala Kangar to Jelapang, from Pedas Linggi to Nilai and Bidor to Sungkai.
However, at the 267.7km Seremban-bound stretch, a bus fell into a ditch at 3.45pm yesterday and caused traffic congestion.
In the north, the third lane between Slim River and Rawang (both ways) had been opened for traffic during the Chinese New Year rush and had helped ease traffic flow.
“The weather was fair and that helped prevent more congestion,” the spokesman said.
To handle the additional traffic during the festive season, PLUS had increased lanes at the toll plazas by 33% and had 349 workers to manage the traffic at rest and service areas and toll plazas.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation