Downpour causes traffic jams, cave-in

Traffic in the city, traffic cam, stretch under construction, road closure, usual jam area and jam hours, highway under construction, obstruction, floods, landslide and etc

Downpour causes traffic jams, cave-in

Postby admin » Wed May 19, 2010 2:17 am

KUALA LUMPUR: A heavy evening downpour lasting two hours uprooted trees and caused massive traffic jams along major roads, here and Petaling Jaya.

Motorists were stuck on major roads like Jalan Sultan Ismail; Jalan Ampang, Jalan Kuching and Jalan Raja Laut as well as highways like the Federal Highway, Sprint, Lebuh­raya Damansara-Puchong (LDP), New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE), and the Ampang-Kuala Lumpur Elevated Highway (AKLEH) yesterday.

The rain also caused a small piece of land in Kampung Tasik Permai in Ampang to cave-in.

The two-metre hole about six feet deep appeared between clerk Kasmi Mahmud’s home and a monsoon drain.

“There has always been a depression in the soil at that spot since the monsoon drain project began five years ago.

“Complaining to the developers, local authorities and even the Drainage and Irrigation Department (JPS) got nowhere.

“Now, things are worse,” said Kasmi, 40.

He added that developers had started digging up the ground five years ago and completed the monsoon drain two years ago.

“The rain started about 4.30pm and the soil began sinking rapidly soon after,” said Kasmi.

The Ampang Fire and Rescue Department, police and Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) officers arrived at the scene about 6.30pm.

“I feel very worried and don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight with the hole so near.

“At least an MPAJ officer informed me that they would be hiring a contractor to fix the problem as soon as possible,” Kasmi said.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Congestion, Traffic Jams & Road Closure