Hazards in road works

Complaints & suggestion on anything from A to Z... traffic, highway, toll, summons, parking, police, patrol & etc etc

Hazards in road works

Postby admin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:27 am

I WOULD like to voice my dissatisfaction with the highway contractors and the relevant authorities in charge of highway safety. My concern is with road safety and the safe working practices of the highway contractors.

Several upgrades are taking place on our highways. One possible major cause of accidents, apart from the usual ones like speeding and substandard vehicles, is the shoddy and inadequate road signs/signals/markers.

One good example is when the arrow to indicate that only one lane is in use, is almost always at the point where two lanes suddenly converge into one.

The proper signage and/or arrow would have shown “lane closure ahead” at 300m, repeated at 200m, and another at 100m.

The implication of several cars travelling at high speed side by side in two lanes suddenly having to move into one is a disaster waiting to happen.

Signs placed incorrectly or not placed further up the road, are dangerous as they do not allow for a safe breaking distance nor do they accommodate any margin of error.

We Malaysians are not known to give way to other road users. At best, it will be a rear-end collision; at worst, there will be a multiple pile-up.

Equally, I am concerned about the highway workers who seem oblivious to the dangers associated with fast moving passing and approaching traffic.

I have seen work vans reversing onto the highway. At times, I have had to take drastic measures to avoid workers ambling across the lanes of the motorway, moving whole lines of bollards from the fast lane to the hard shoulder.

Do these workers imagine that cars approaching them at speeds in excess of 100 km/h are deterred by their bright orange jackets?

Who monitors their road safety and who supervises their work?

MARIAM MOKHTAR,
Kuala Lumpur.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... &sec=focus
admin
Informer

Return to Complaints & Suggestion