KUALA LUMPUR: Heavy vehicles will be barred from using the roads on Feb 1, 2, 12 and 13 in conjunction with the Chinese New Year (CNY) celebration.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the ban was aimed at reducing traffic congestion and fatal accidents.
"We expect the accident rate and death during the CNY celebration will be reduced by 10 percent," he told reporters after launching an integrated road safety operation at Kuala Lumpur Sentral here Tuesday.
According to Bukit Aman statistics, 201 deaths and 14,183 accidents were recorded during last year's CNY celebration.
Kong said the ban would involve heavy vehicles in the first category, namely lorries carrying logs and construction materials like cement, steel, earth and sand; cement mixer; cranes and low-loaders.
For heavy vehicles in the second category like container and cargo lorries carrying electronic and electrical products, they will be allowed to use the roads between 6am and midnight on the said dates.
Heavy vehicles in the third category, including concrete mixer trucks, mobile cranes and lorries carrying sand and gravels, however, would be allowed to use the roads between 6am and 6pm, but only in the Klang Valley, Johor Baru, George Town and Ipoh, he said.
Kong said among the efforts to reduce the accident rate was to encourage motorcyclists and pillion riders travelling long distance to use the train service.
He said motorcyclists had the highest risk of getting involved in accidents and were the biggest contributors to the road accidents and fatalities in the country.
"According to our data, 60.1 percent of road accidents involved motorcycles, cars (20.8 percent), pedestrians and others (8.7 percent) and buses (0.5 percent)," he explained.
In his speech earlier, Kong said the death index for every 10,000 registered vehicles recorded last year had declined by 4.5 per cent to 3.39 deaths compared with 3.5 deaths in 2009.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation