Injured cop warns parents

Issues of driving license, driving test, driving exam, underage driving, unlicense driving and driving without license etc

Injured cop warns parents

Postby admin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:17 am

Parents are signing their children’s death warrants if they allow them to ride motorcycles without a licence.

This is the view of traffic policeman Sjn Abu Seman Lebar, 54, who was knocked down by a 15-year-old schoolboy at a roadblock at KM7 of Jalan Kuala Nerang-Naka near Alor Star at 4.30pm on Thursday.

Abu Seman, the leader of the team manning the roadblock, was knocked down by the PMR student who was riding his machine without a licence and was trying to escape the roadblock.

Abu Saman fractured his right hand and sustained injuries on his left hand, knee and forehead.

“I did not see the motorcycle coming as my back was turned the other way. I did not remember what happened.

“When I regain consciousness about 13 hours later, I was shocked to see the cast on my right hand and the large bruise on my left hand.

“I did not even realise that I was sent to (the Kuala Nerang) hospital after the incident. When I woke up, I was already at home,” he said.

Abu Seman, who gives talks on road safety at schools, said he was disappointed that the students did not heed his advice about observing road safety rules.

Padang Terap OCPD deputy Supt Hamzan Darus said the student, Muhamamd Abdul Hafiz Ismail, had put five lives in danger when he tried to escape the roadblock.

“The student fell after knocking down Abu Seman causing a passing motorcyclist, together with his wife and two small children, to fall too,” he said.

Hamzan said the onus was on the parents to ensure that their children did not ride or drive without a licence.

“We have come across so many cases where the parents actually buy brand new high speed motorcycles for their young children knowing that it was against the law for their children to ride a motorcycle without a licence,” he said.

Muhammad Abdul Hafiz is liable to be fined up to RM6,000 or be jailed up to two years for reckless riding, if convicted.

He could also be further fined up to RM2,000 and be jailed up to two years for causing injury to Abu Seman.

“We will also take action against the boy’s parents for allowing the boy to ride a motorcycle without licence,” he said. The offence carries a fine of up to RM300.

Muhammad Abdul Hafiz was still unconscious at the Alor Star Hospital at noon. He could not sit for his final PMR Geography paper yesterday.

By SIRA HABIBU

Source from:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... &sec=north
admin
Informer

Return to Driving License, Driving Test & Driving Exam