KUALA LUMPUR: The much-awaited first Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) line from Sungai Buloh to Kajang will begin service in 2017, a month after it is expected to be completed.
However, the final alignment for the line has yet to be finalised as Syarikat Prasarana Negara Berhad is still holding public displays until May 14.
Its project manager Zulkifli Yusof said Prasarana is taking into account all suggestions and comments from the public.
“We are collecting the suggestions and will submit a report to the Land Public Transport Commission for the final decision on the track alignment and station locations,” he said at media briefing yesterday.
Zulkifli said they also hoped to be able to get the final railway scheme for the Sungai Buloh to Kajang line approved next month.
He said more than 6,000 comments had been received and the majority are positive and valuable suggestions, which would be useful and important. Zulkifli said they had briefed residents and business owners on the project over the past two months.
“Usually residents and business owners worry their land or building may be acquired for the project,” he said, adding that residents had a clearer picture of the project after attending dialogue sessions.
He said mitigation measures such as minimising the noise level had been submitted to the Department of Environment (DOE).
“DOE has approved all our mitigation measures and when work begins at the site, its officers will monitor and check if we are complying with the Environmental Management Plan,” he said.
Prasarana would hold a ground-breaking ceremony on July 8, if all goes according to plan.
Tenders for the works would only be called at the end of June and the contract awarded in November.
“That will be the first contract awarded for the MRT project, so you will see some work being carried out somewhere in November or December,” he said.
The first tender, he said, was for the elevated section which covers some 40km from Maluri to Plaza Phoenix.
Subsequently, tenders for different packages, such as civil works, system works, stations and underground works will be ongoing from June till the end of 2012.
“We have yet to determine the final project cost but it will be about five times more if we have to change elevated sections to underground,” he said on the possibility of having more stretches where the lines run underground.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation