New bus service to be set up

All public transportation, KTM train, Putra & Star LRT, Monorail, ERL, MRT, Taxi, Cab, Limousine, express bus and coaches, local bus, mini buses, teksi sapu etc. And news from the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) etc

New bus service to be set up

Postby admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 am

A bus Rapid Transportation (BRT) service will be formed in Shah Alam to connect the city with Klang and Subang Jaya.

Shah Alam mayor Mohd Jaafar Mohd Atan feels the creation of the BRT is vital for a good public transport system.

Shah Alam lacks a centralised transport hub and Jaafar said the city needed to improve the service.

He also said the BRT was a prerequisite in creating an intergrated transport network in Shah Alam in line with the federal government’s plan to expand the LRT network to the city.

“It is our duty to provide the best to the people who have been deprived of a good public transport network.

“We do not even have a centralised bus terminal like those in other towns,” he told reporters after being sworn-in as Shah Alam mayor.

Jaafar, who was the state urban and rural planning department director before his new posting, said it was high time that the city had a rapid bus transportation network that provided extensive coverage throughout the city.

He said the BRT should be able to service the public within Shah Alam and neighbouring towns like Klang and Subang Jaya.

“I expect the buses to stop at the various stations at least at 10-minute frequency.

“While I want the public to enjoy an efficient public transport system, I also hope the BRT will influence more people to use public transport.

“If this can be done then there will be a great reduction in the number of cars on the road.

“It will also help reduce pollution,” he said, adding that it would also help ease traffic congestion on the roads.

Besides servicing the housing estates, Jaafar said BRT service would ferry commuters to other stations like railway stations and the proposed LRT stops.

On the centralised transportation hub, Jaafar said he would be pursuing the idea personally because he felt that the city had long been deprived of such a facility.

He said the centralised hub was essential because it would also play the role of bringing the residents together.

“It will become the landmark or a meeting point for friends and residents,” he said

On the proposed expansion of LRT to the city, Jaafar said he welcomed the idea and urged the government to connect the stops with proper feeder services.

Read the full article:
http://www.starproperty.my/PropertyScen ... /11183/0/0
admin
Informer

Return to Public Transport - Train, Bus, Taxi, Limousine & SPAD etc