Only 25% of dealers selling Sirim-approved helmets

All about motorcyclists and super bikers... how attractive are the super bikes and also, occasionally how some of them irritate us with their crazy zigzagging... and ops sikap etc...

Only 25% of dealers selling Sirim-approved helmets

Postby admin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:29 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Only 25% of motorcycle helmet dealers are selling Sirim-approved ones, said Road Safety Department director-general Datuk Suret Singh.

A recent survey by the Malaysian Road Safety Research Institute (Myros) found that the other dealers were still selling non-approved helmets.

“We would like to remind everyone that selling non-Sirim-approved helmets is against the law,” he told the press after handing out 50 helmets and one million UP Cafe sachets at the Jalan Duta Toll Plaza here yesterday.

The 50 helmets were exchanged for those which were not compliant with safety standards.

When asked what action would be taken against dealers who sold illegal helmets, Suret Singh replied: “My work is on advocacy, I cannot comment on the enforcement.”

He said that since July 2007, 98,000 helmets had been handed out or exchanged.

He said road fatalities had gone up by 3.9% to 6,527 cases in 2008, compared with 6,282 fatalities in 2007.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Motorcyclists / Bikers