Other ways for PLUS to reward motorists

New highway, old highway, expressway, speed trap, highway rest area, R&R, emergency lane, toll fee, smart tag, touch & go, tow truck services and tow charges and everything else about highway...

Other ways for PLUS to reward motorists

Postby admin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:13 am

WITH reference to the PLUS announcement of 10% discount for highway users between midnight and 7am, I would like to know: what’s the point and who really stands to gain?

Is PLUS encouraging more motorist to travel after midnight? Even with additional discounts offered during festive seasons, are we directing traffic to cause traffic jams during midnight hours now?

PLUS should have the courage and clear-mindedness to seek advise from neighbouring countries on tackling traffic congestion, cost-effectiveness and providing good facilities.

Providing a 10% discount for hours not commonly used only goes to show PLUS is still looking out for its own pockets.

If PLUS is serious in helping motorists, I suggest the following:

> Open all the tolls during festive seasons such as Hari Raya, Chinese New Year and Christmas. That would be a good way to say “Thank you” and “We care to give back”.

> Lower the rates during non-peak hours, i.e. after 10am. This would encourage people to car-pool and allow smoother traffic during peak hours.

> Provide more efficient tag readers. Current tag readers are constantly spoiled, therefore creating congestion even on the SmartTag lanes.

> Sell SmartTags at a cheaper price. Motorists have no choice but to use PLUS, so why charge high prices for equipment that enable users to pass by tolls faster? New Jersey implemented the EZY Pass and traffic is much smoother there.

> Work with the Road Transport Department to offer all new vehicles SmartTags as part of the new registration.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... &sec=focus
admin
Informer

Return to Highway, Expressway, Rest Area, Toll & Tow