Pit stop results in RM200 fine

Parking ticket & compound by Municipal Council, JPJ, PDRM, DBKL, MPPJ, MPSJ, other Majlis Perbandaran and dewan bandaraya in Malaysia... where to pay, how to pay, the amount to pay etc. Car park, Parking tout, parking hazard, parking contractor and everything about parking.

Pit stop results in RM200 fine

Postby admin » Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 am

A THREE-MINUTE pit stop at KLCC cost a building manager RM200 when his car parked along Pesiaran KLCC was clamped by tow truck operators.

Shocked and surprised, the man, who only wished to be known as Lee, was sceptical of the company hired to tow and clamp cars in the area.

“I parked the car by the side of the road like every one else to pay my bills at the kiosk only to find that my car was clamped. I was only away for three minutes,” he said.

Lee said he did not mind paying since it was his fault, however, the price was too exorbitant and he was doubtful about the validity of the company.

When he checked with the taxi stand information counter he was given a leaflet citing the operators as Awana Sutera Travel and Tour (M) Sdn Bhd that also manages the taxis in the area.

Lee said the man in charge told him to go to their station located some distance away to pay the fine. However, Lee refused and paid the man on the spot.

“There are no proper signages to indicate the cars would be clamped. There is only one at the end of the road but the sign is movable. Most people from the other end would not be able to spot it,” he added.

Another complainant, Norzaimimi Zainol, 29, said her car was towed away in March.

“My mother had come down from Penang and we wanted to show her the water fountain in KLCC so we asked the guard if we could park for 10 minutes and he said okay,” she said.

Less than 10 minutes later, they noticed their car was missing and immediately approached a car jockey.

The car jockey confirmed that a vehicle had been towed away a few minutes before to the depot in Jalan Kia Peng. The operators challenged Norzaimimi to take up the matter with the relevant authorities.

“They asked us to fill up a form and pay the fine. They never asked for a copy of the grant or our Mykad for reference. If some unscrupulous people go in and claim the car as their own, they could easily pay the fine and walk off with somebody else’s car,” she added.

She also urged the guards to blow the whistle and prevent people from parking the cars along Persiaran KLCC.

When contacted, a spokesman for Awana Sutera said they were hired by KLCC Property Holdings Berhad to manage the problem. They have sub-let the contract to a towing company and even have the police permit to carry out the task.

“We are trying to educate the public. There are yellow lines as well but people still repeat the offence,” said the spokesman.

However, when contacted a Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) source said there was no jurisdiction for any company or mall operator to clamp cars even if it was on private property.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?f ... ec=central
admin
Informer

Return to Parking Ticket & Anything Related to Carpark and Parking