PM: Act fast on errant motorists

All about road blocks, police patrols, festive driving, balik kampung and etc etc

PM: Act fast on errant motorists

Postby admin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:56 am

KEPALA BATAS: Swift action must be taken against traffic offenders, especially those who cause accidents.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the courts should expedite hearing accident cases to ensure reckless drivers were punished.

"It’s time motorists who cause accidents are hauled to court immediately and punished for their recklessness.

"If we delay, the culprits will think nothing is going to happen and that they can get away with it.

Abdullah said authorities, including the courts, should make it a priority to deal with those who cause accidents in view of the rising number of road fatalities.

"I hope the courts will expedite hearing road accident cases, especially ones that happen during festive seasons and other holidays."

Abdullah said he was saddened and disappointed that 18 deaths were recorded on the first day of Ops Sikap XI.

"Here I was hoping that there would be zero fatalities... I am angry and disappointed that 18 people have died on the very first day.

"It has everything to do with attitude. This kind of things (accidents) don’t even happen in countries that have more cars than us," he said, adding that there was a relatively lower number of accidents during Christmas and New Year celebrations in those countries.

After presenting Deepavali and Hari Raya goodies to residents here, Abdullah expressed disappointment that motorists were not heeding road safety advice.

He described reckless drivers as people who didn’t value their lives and that of others.

"It’s as if they are deaf... they don’t listen to advice by the police and the government."

Source from:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/ ... ocal1_html
admin
Informer

Return to Road Blocks, Police Patrol, Festive Driving & Balik Kampung