Tint rules under review

All about workshop, car modification, car repair, number plate, vehicles with tinted glass, spare parts, the excitement, the beauty and the consequences...

Tint rules under review

Postby admin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:50 am

PORT DICKSON: Existing rules on tinting of vehicles will be reviewed to make it easier for motorists to apply to increase tint levels.

Transport Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat said he had directed the Road Transport Department to review the existing ruling so that people with a genuine need for a higher level of tint would not be penalised.

The ministry had also indefinitely deferred a planned nationwide crackdown on heavily tinted vehicles, he said.

“In fact, I hope to do away with the ruling requiring motorists to get the minister’s approval if they wished to have their cars tinted beyond the permissible level.

“I will speak to the police on the security aspect and hope to come up with an easier way to allow motorists to do this,” he said.

Ong was speaking to reporters after opening the new RM5mil SJK(C) Chung Hwa in Lukut.

He said he did not want people to have the opinion that only those who were politically connected had the privilege to excessively tint their vehicles.

Ong said the RTD would issue new guidelines on tinting after getting feedback from the police.

“I must admit that we need to amend some of the provisions in the law on this. We need to follow the international standards as Malaysia is part of the international community,” he said.

Under the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Certain Types of Glass) Rules 1991, car owners have to comply with a 70% light penetration rule for the front windscreen and 50% light penetration for the rear windscreen and side windows.

Senior government officials such as the chief judge and top ranking police and army officers are however exempted from the ruling.

Non-governmental organisations and car associations have called for a heavier tint level to cope with global warming.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Workshop, Car Modification, Number Plate, Car Repair & Windows Tinting