Bandar Mahkota Cheras inquiry: Mechanic says he was beaten by FRU. KUALA LUMPUR: The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia's (Suhakam) two-day public inquiry into the allegation of excessive use of force by law enforcement personnel at Persiaran Bandar Mahkota Cheras 1, Bandar Mahkota Cheras on May 27 began Wednesday.
The first witness of the alleged assault by FRU personnel at the disputed Bandar Mahkota Cheras barricade in May claimed that he stopped his car before making a U-turn as there were cars in front of him when he saw at least 10 FRU personnel carrying batons and shields rushing to his car.
Chang Jiun Haur, who is a 23-year-old mechanic, said the FRU personnel kicked his car door, hit the passenger door window screen and opened the door before he was forcibly dragged out by at least five personnel who later beat him until he lost consciousness.
"Four to five persons pulled my T-shirt. They dragged me out of my car, threw me on the ground and beat me up. I couldn't see their faces. They were wearing helmets. I did not have time to see their identification. I was beaten on my face, head, arm and back with something very solid and hard. I couldn't do anything when they beat me," said Chang.
He was replying to a question by Suhakam commissioner Datin Paduka Zaitoon Othman on how the alleged assault took place.
Asked how he knew that they were FRU personnel, Chang said: "They were wearing the uniforms."
Chang who claimed that he was passing by the area with his younger sister Jiun Mein, 21 and two other friends Chan Siew Meng and Chok Kem Hoo at 11.30pm from his home in Persiaran Mahkota Cheras, said he was scared when the personnel kept on kicking his car while shouting, keluar, keluar (come out, come out).
Chang said he regained consciousness at Kajang Hospital where he was admitted for one day and he was brought to Seremban Hospital by his father the following day to have an X-ray examination done. He lodged a police report on the matter at the Seremban police station on May 29.
On June 10, Chang was charged with reckless driving during the incident at Bandar Mahkota Cheras.
Gan Ping Sieu, the lawyer representing Chang, his sister and his two friends, said after getting Suhakam's report on the findings of the alleged assault, his client would proceed with legal action against the police and the Government.
"In any event, my clients will proceed with the civil suit," said Gan, who is also MCA Youth legal bureau head.
Gan said he had written on behalf of his clients to Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan and the Home Ministry to take action against the personnel but so far no action had been taken.
"It is very regretful that there has been no response from the IGP and the Home Ministry. I'm sure the police can tell who were involved by looking at the videoclip. There is no reason why the police can't identify the personnel involved in the alleged assault."
Eleven others are also scheduled to give their statement for the first day of the inquiry and 10 others are expected to be called in on Thursday.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation