GEORGE TOWN: Motorists using the RM700 million Butterworth Outer Ring Road (BORR) have good reason to cheer following the state government’s pledge to build several new toll-free roads.
State Traffic Management Committee chairman Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan said the proposed roads linking Seberang Jaya and Butterworth would allow them to travel to both places without having to pass the Sungai Nyiur toll.
Dr Teng said the preliminary study on the project would take a year to complete.
"We are looking for strategic locations to build two-way roads to link Seberang Jaya and Butterworth."
Dr Teng said the authorities were aware of the problems faced by motorists following the construction of the 19km BORR and were looking for ways to resolve the matter.
"The objective of building additional access roads is to shorten the detour for motorists travelling between Seberang Jaya and Butterworth," said Dr Teng after attending a charity carnival hosted by the National Gerakan Wanita committee yesterday.
More than 10,000 people thronged the carnival, which was held to raise funds for the disabled and the hard-core poor.
Also present were Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon and the party’s Wanita National chairman Datuk Tan Lian Hoe.
Dr Teng was commenting on Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu’s statement on Friday in response to complaints by motorists regarding the Sungai Nyiur toll plaza.
The motorists had said the road leading to the toll plaza was not new.
It was an existing trunk road and therefore it was unfair to require them to pay toll for its use, they claimed.
Samy Vellu also said that the BORR concessionaire had agreed to defer collection of the Sungai Nyiur toll until Feb 20.
In Kuala Lumpur, Samy Vellu said people were protesting against the BORR without realising its benefits.
"Previously, to go to the jetty would take an hour.
"Now it takes just five to six minutes," he said yesterday after presenting cash awards to 580 Tamil pupils who scored 7As in the UPSR examinations last year.
He said there were many alternative routes.
"There are complaints that there is no underpass connecting the roads that were disconnected. I have already directed the concessionaire to take action on this," he said.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/ ... index_html