Off-day, so don’t bother the MBPJ

Potholes and manholes here and there... road bump, road hump, damaging our vehicle and endangering our life... Rubbish along the road... Road in bad condition etc and all about traffic light.

Off-day, so don’t bother the MBPJ

Postby admin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 am

SORRY, no work on off-day. This was the cute reply an officer of the Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) gave to 69-year-old retiree P.S. Nathan when he called last Saturday to report uncovered manholes at a busy road.

At least six manhole covers are missing along Jalan SS1/20 at Kampung Tunku in Petaling Jaya.

Nathan said he noticed that the covers were missing last Saturday morning and suspected that it was stolen the night before.

“I heard the dogs barking the night before but I did not think much about it,” he said.

Nathan then called the MBPJ but was told that it couldn’t entertain him because Saturday was an off-day.

“Even then, why didn’t they come on Monday?” he asked.

Nathan said the exposed manholes, which are knee-deep, would pose a risk to motorists and residents.

“It’s dangerous for the residents and there are old folks taking morning walks at about 5am, when it is still dark. Someone may break a leg should they fall into the hole,” he said.

Nathan and some residents had put up rubbish bags and sticks around the exposed manholes to warn motorists and passers-by.

“Even so, drivers may not see them at night and drive into the holes. I have difficulty sleeping at night, worrying if any car would get into an accident due to the exposed manhole,” he said.

When contacted, MBPJ public relations director Haniza Abdul Hamid said they would replace the covers as soon as possible.

“Maybe the delay was due to finding the right size of covers to cover the manhole.

“This problem is common in Petaling Jaya."

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?f ... ec=central
admin
Informer

Return to Pothole / Manhole / Road Bump / Road Hump / Dirty Road / Road in Bad Condition / Traffic Light