JOHOR BARU: Motorcyclists will be the focus of roadblocks under Ops Sikap XVII starting on Sept 24 in view of the festive period.
Johor Road Transport Department (JPJ) director Rosli Ramli said since the petrol price increase in June, more motorists had switched to riding motorcycles.
“We expect the number of motorcyclists travelling during the festive season to increase,” he said yesterday.
He also said enforcement would be carried out at two major terminals in the Larkin and the Bentayan bus terminals in Johor Baru and Muar respectively.
“We will ensure that all bus operators provide a second driver for every journey that is more than 300km or four hours,” he said, adding that bus companies would have to replace drivers who had summonses with those with clean records.
Rosli also said that since early September, five touts had been arrested for selling bus tickets at the Larkin bus terminal.
He also said that bus operators were allowed to increase express bus fares by 30% from Sept 15 to Oct 15.
“The new bus fares for normal and executive buses will be displayed at all ticket counters,” he said.
Rosli said the department would also send SMSes to all bus drivers in the state reminding them to drive safely, he said, adding that they had a name list of the drivers. He said JPJ officers would also continue with the undercover method, as it was successful in the past.
“Among the offences we will focus on are driving along emergency lanes, traffic light offences, using mobile phones while driving and queue-cutting,” he said.
Rosli said during Ops Sikap XVI from Jan 31 to Feb 14, 2,359 traffic summonses were issued and all 1,666 motorists had confessed to their offences.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation