Traffic scheme blamed for chaos and accidents in Klang

Traffic in the city, traffic cam, stretch under construction, road closure, usual jam area and jam hours, highway under construction, obstruction, floods, landslide and etc

Traffic scheme blamed for chaos and accidents in Klang

Postby admin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:27 am

THERE seems to be no end to the daily chaotic traffic nightmare in Klang.

The new rerouting of traffic over the last two weeks is adding to the already utterly confusing and disorderly traffic situation caused by the ongoing construction works on a roundabout and a flyover along the Persiaran Sultan Ibrahim.

According to motorists, the traffic diversion implemented about two weeks ago has worsened the situation and contributed to the long crawl during peak hours and rainy days.

Checks by StarMetro revealed that the motorists are frustrated and fuming over the chaotic state of the new traffic scheme.

Some people have also told StarMetro that the new traffic system had caused many accidents, including fatal ones.

M. Alagu, 56, said his son Muthuraman was killed along Jalan Pasar last week after he was involved in an accident with a bus.

Alagu blames the traffic diversion and the improper road signs and portable dividers for allegedly causing the accident.

“Muthuraman was on his motorcycle heading towards Jalan Nenas when the accident occurred. He was the family’s breadwinner and got married only four months ago,’’ Alagu said.

According to pasar malam trader Ng Bee Chiew, 41, the new traffic route includes the implementation of a one-way traffic system at two busy roads.

He said the Jalan Batu Tiga Lama and Jalan Pasar at Klang North had been turned into one-way streets.

“Traffic from Jalan Tengku Kelana heading towards Klang North via the Jambatan Mussaeddin are not allowed to make a right turn at the traffic light junction that connects Jalan Batu Tiga Lama now,” Ng said.

“Jalan Pasar, which is the continuation from Jalan Batu Tiga Lama, is also a one-way street and motorists have to travel about 3km to approach the Bulatan Seratus,’’ he said.

Ng said that the traffic diversion had caused a lot of confusion among motorists.

Taxi driver N. Chandrasegar, 36, said that the lack of information and adequate notice had resulted in some of the motorists driving against the traffic.

He said the new traffic system was ineffective and turning Jalan Batu Tiga Lama into a one-way street was a bad idea.

“Only two of the four lanes on this road are being used by motorists and this shows that the system is not working,” Chandrasegar said.

“What is the use of turning the road into a one-way street when two of the lanes are empty while vehicles are in a bumper-to-bumper crawl on other lanes heading towards the same direction?’’ he said.

A check by StarMetro also revealed that shops and traders are complaining of poor business due to the traffic situation.

Spare part shop operator Teoh Seng Hock said that his business had been badly affected since the new traffic scheme was implemented.

“I have been operating my business at my shop in Jalan Batu Tiga Lama for 23 years and have never experienced a situation as bad as what is happening now,” he said.

“People find it inconvenient to come to my shop as they cannot make a right turn from the Jambatan Musaeddin, but have to make a long detour through Jalan Pasar, Jalan Kapar and Persiaran Sultan Ibrahim to reach my shop,’’ Teoh said.

Koh Lay Huat, 54, who works at the Esso petrol kiosk along the same road, said business had dropped by 70%.

He said the new system had changed the direction of the traffic and affected the flow of vehicles to the kiosk.

“We have lost out in the morning business since motorists are not allowed to turn right from the bridge,” he said.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?f ... ec=central
admin
Informer

Return to Congestion, Traffic Jams & Road Closure