Car persona

All about buying car, new car, second hand car and used car... the car loan, servicing the loan, hire purchase... car repossession, car repossessor and getting back repossessed car...

Car persona

Postby admin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 am

FAMILIAR with those magazine quizzes? You know, where you discover the kind of person you are by the car you drive? For example, if you’re a fun-loving extrovert with a yen for danger and an eye for the ladies, you probably drive … wait for it … an Aston Martin!

Such quizzes mean absolutely piffle in real life – for the majority, the choice of car is dictated by less-exciting factors like practicality and budget.

Okay, so when I was much younger and slightly more foolish than I am now, I turned my nose down at Asian cars because they were perceived to be, well, boring. As a teenager, I was a regular reader of glossy car magazines that filled my head with lofty visions of some day owning a flashy car or two.

Reality struck when I started working. I didn’t have an inheritance when I became an adult, so it took years to garner sufficient resources for a used Japanese car.

It would be temporary, I told myself … but as the years pro­gressed, the enormity of my dreams became more uncomfortably obvious.

Still, the young and foolish have a stubbornly resolute streak, and sometime in the early 1990s, I pawned all my earthly possessions to acquire a pre-owned French car.

It had loads of character, my friends agreed. Cars with character, I later learnt, also spent a lot of down-time in the workshop, bleeding their owners to the marrow. So I sold it after a couple of years, but did I learn my lesson? Not really, because when you’re young, you take pride in laughing in the face of good sense. I got another French car.

I was luckier because this car stayed with me for six years before maintenance costs began to escalate. By then, I had been dragged kicking and roaring into my 40s, and you’d think some pragmatism would have taken hold of me.

To a point, yes ... I didn’t get an exotic super bike to signal my mid-life crisis, I got a pick-up truck instead … more macho, no? Too late, I realised there were many women as well who drove trucks. There went the machismo out of the window.

The truck phase lasted a couple of years; my missus loved it, and the behemoth was friendly on the wallet. However, it was odd when we dressed up in our best for functions … and made our entry in a truck. Not cool, especially if you’re wearing traditional clothes. Look, if you drive a truck, only jeans are appropriate.

So I moved on to a more practical, er, Japanese car – entry-level, economical and easy to maintain. As a friend helpfully pointed out, I had come a full circle.

You’d think owning a practical Japanese sedan had nothing to with style or statement, right? However, at a car showroom recently, the salesman told me the prices of the new generation of the car I owned were going up by a few thousand bucks.

“They want to place themselves as premium brand, unlike the ‘other’ brands,” he said.

That’s a double-edged sword for me. On one hand, if and when I change my car for the new model in the future, I’ll need to fork out more, and the last thing I want on my head as I coast into retirement is another big loan.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.a ... =lifefocus
admin
Informer

Return to Buy new car, second hand car, vehicle loan & vehicle repossession etc