Proton wheels out the Exora

A section to talk about concept car, new car and issues related to it... as well as car show around the country.

Proton wheels out the Exora

Postby admin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:22 am

KUALA LUMPUR: The motor industry moved up another notch last night with the launch of the first locally made multi-purpose vehicle.
The Proton Exora was launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who announced that it would be priced at RM69,998 for the medium-line and RM75,998 for the high-line models.

"The prices are competitive. I hope this will make the buyers happy."

Present were Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, the former prime minister who was instrumental in launching the national car project in 1983 and is Proton advisor; International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Mustapa Mohamed; Proton Holdings Bhd chairman Datuk Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh; and, Proton managing director Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir.

Since pre-launch bookings were opened on Feb 21, orders have been received for more than 2,500 units.
"Exora's development took 18 months, from the time Proton fixed the design to the production stage. This launch proves that Proton dared to take risks to change."

Najib said the world had witnessed how the global economic crisis had taken a toll and threatened the survival of the motor industry.

Proton, he said, must take cognizance of what had happened and could not afford to remain in its comfort zone. The national carmaker must improve its competitive edge and productivity.

"Failure is not an option for Proton. We need to be brave, to get out of the conventional thinking box. To overcome any crisis, we should not become dogmatic and refuse options at an early stage," Najib said, stressing that all options must be considered in the interests of the nation.

He said Proton must look at the need for a strategic alliance to produce fuel- efficient products, utilising environmentally-friendly technology.

The prime minister reminded Proton that in the competitive local and export markets, it must always be ahead of other players.

"There is no free ride or free lunch concept in this world. We must be aware that no competitor will slow its development tempo simply to assist or wait for us to narrow the competitive gap."

At the event, three early bird customers and the winner of a "name the Proton MPV" contest got the keys to their Exora from Najib.

Read the full article:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html
admin
Informer

Proton unveils its first MPV

Postby admin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Proton Holdings Bhd’s first multi-purpose vehicle (MPV), the Exora, was unveiled to the public in a gala event here yesterday.

Launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, the 1.6-litre Exora has already received orders of 2,500 units, even before its launch.

The seven-seater - Proton’s most important model for the year - also marks the company’s entry into the MPV market, which is growing domestically and regionally.

It also represents the Proton management’s response to market needs and consumer demands.

The Exora’s interior is more spacious than other MPVs in its engine class. It also has separate air-conditioner blowers with ceiling mounted vents for the second and third row passengers.

Large doors allow for easy entry and exit, while the second and third row seats can be folded for a flat floor layout when carrying bulky items.

The vehicle has safety features like dual front airbags, pretensioner seatbelts and anti-lock braking system with electronic brake-force distribution.

The Exora, which is powered by a 1.6-litre CamPro CPS engine, was the result of an investment of RM450mil and 18 months of intense in-house research and development.

The MPV is available in four-speed automatic version, in trim levels of Mid-Line and Hi-Line.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

First 10 owners give the thumbs up to their Proton Exora MPV

Postby admin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 am

PETALING JAYA: The first few Proton Exora owners have only praise for the made-in-Malaysia multi-purpose vehicle.

Nancy Boyd who runs a childcare nursery said the Exora would help reduce her petrol bill as she need not resort to two cars to ferry children.

“The MPV is economical yet elegant. It makes me proud to be Malaysian driving a Malaysian-made car.

“What convinced me to order the car despite not having seen it was the inclusion of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and the DVD player,” said Boyd.

Gan Kim Huat agreed with Boyd that the Exora was a good family vehicle and decided to buy it when his wife wanted to change cars.

“I took it for a test drive earlier and it feels powerful. For the price I am paying, I am satisfied,” he said.

Salmiah Mohamad who has been driving Proton cars since 1992 said that she bought the Exora because she had full confidence in Proton.

“The car comes at a good price. Besides, I do not need to worry about getting spare parts,” said Salmiah, who runs a family business.

Hasbullah Mustafa found the Exora comfortable and its features impressive.

They were among the first 10 customers who made early bookings for the MPV during a soft launch in February.

They received the keys to their cars from Proton Holdings Bhd managing director Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir at the Proton 3S centre at Mutiara Damansara here yesterday.

Syed Zainal Abidin said the company had received 3,000 orders so far and expected more over the weekend.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Concept Car, New Car, Car Show