BUTTERWORTH: Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd has withdrawn the 20% discount on toll rates for motorists buying Touch ’n Go cards for use on Penang Bridge since April 1.
Its deputy general manager, Abd Rahman Hassan, said those who had bought the cards before April 1 and topped it up at designated places would still receive the discount.
“We are still selling the cards at our office in Prai but there is no discount anymore,” he told newsmen here yesterday after receiving an appeal letter from state Gerakan Youth head Oh Tong Keong for the discount to be reinstated.
Abd Rahman said an average of 200,000 bridge users used the Touch ’n Go cards, of which 115,000 were regular users.
The discount was previously only offered to those who bought the cards at the company’s office in Prai.
Motorists using the cards need only pay RM5.60 toll for using the bridge compared to RM7 for those who pay cash.
Oh said the the company did not give prior notice to motorists before withdrawing the discount.
“Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd has informed me that those applying for a replacement card will also not be given the discount.
“Their reason is that it is to prevent the misuse of the card. But I feel it is a lame excuse.”
Oh criticised the state for forgetting its March 2008 general election promise to Penangites that there would be no increase in toll rates.
He claimed the move indirectly leads to an increase in toll rates.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation