PETALING JAYA: The operation to reduce road deaths this Hari Raya begins today with the Ops Sikap swinging into action.
Traffic enforcement agencies such as the police and the Road Transport Department have been roped into the nationwide operation which will last until Sept 17.
Even the Fire and Rescue Services Department has been put on standby to deal with any eventuality.
The police have set up more than 100 canopies at roads identified as killer stretches, in order to make themselves more “visible” to motorists.
Over 5,000 personnel have been deployed for the operation while the Road Transport Department announced that its officers would be going undercover to catch offenders.
Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung said the Fire and Rescue Department would be deploying 9,920 personnel during Ops Raya from Sept 3 to 18 to tackle tragedies of fire, road accidents or hazardous chemicals.
He said the effort, in conjunction with the Hari Raya festive season, would involve 80% of the department’s staff of 12,400.
“As many as 254 fire stations will be involved and firemen will patrol the highways, town roads and other roads,” he told reporters yesterday after attending the launch of the department’s Ops Raya.
He added they would also monitor the situation using its air services.
Chor said the services were to ensure speedy and effective rescue and fire fighting work as well as eliminate fire risks at premises by inspecting public places such as shopping malls, supermarkets, and entertainment outlets.
Last year, 184 calls were received during Ops Raya. Twenty-four were rescued, 47 injured and 45 deaths.
The department would work together with the police where emergency response teams were located. The teams would also involve Public Defence Department and St. John’s Ambulance, he said.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation