Motorists will get 50% off if traffic summons settled early

Fine reduction and discount, announcement by traffic police on discount for traffic saman, announcement on warrant of arrest for traffic offender, deadline for paying saman & etc etc

Motorists will get 50% off if traffic summons settled early

Postby admin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 pm

SEREMBAN: In a move to get errant motorists to pay their summonses and to reduce backlog, the authorities are offering a 50% discount to those who settle their tickets within two weeks from Wednesday.

Those who settle their dues between two weeks and a month will be entitled to a 30% discount.

After that, offenders will be required to pay the full amount of the summonses issued to them.

A government official who disclosed this said motorists who were issued with tickets during the Ops Sikap exercise or those already issued with arrest warrants would not be entitled to the discounts.

“Those issued with summonses for serious accidents will also not be given the discounts,” he said.

(Ops Sikap is a traffic safety operation carried out by the police to ensure safety on all during festive seasons, such as Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Deepavali, Christmas and Chinese New Year. The operation began also involves the Road Transport Department, Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board and the National Anti-Drugs Agency).

The official said the authorities will not entertain any appeal for reduction after a month, adding that those issued with summonses before Dec 1 but had failed to settle them will also be entitled to a 50% reprieve.

“The move is to encourage more traffic offenders to pay up. We do not want the list of people blacklisted to increase,” he said.

It is understood that traffic offenders have chalked up to 15 million summonses for various offences in recent years.

Almost 90% of the tickets were issued by the police. The rest were by the Road Transport Department.

Also, it is learnt, some 650,000 motorists are on the police blacklist for failing to settle their traffic summonses.

It is understood that the police issued between 10,000 and 15,000 summonses daily.

The official said motorists can make payments through the internet via www.rilek.com.my and www.myeg.com.my.

Portal users must print a receipt of payment and keep it for future reference, he said.

Cash payment is accepted at all police headquarters and district police stations as well as counters at select shopping malls

Prior to this, motorists who had committed traffic offences and had failed to settle their tickets were required to pay the full amount or risk being blacklisted.

However, following a Cabinet decision in August, the authorities have deferred the blacklist period to Feb 28 next year so that offenders can pay up.

Since, at that time, the government did not offer any discounts, offenders were allowed to pay their summonses through instalments.

Despite this leniency, however, very few people had been settling their summonses.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Mixed reaction from motorists to rebate on summonses

Postby admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:31 am

PETALING JAYA: The 50% discount offer for traffic offenders to settle their fines within two weeks has put a smile on many motorists while some are fuming over being short-changed.

Those who ‘ayed’ the move felt that it was a way to increase the Government’s revenue, besides clearing the backlog of summonses.

Traffic offenders who have yet to pay are clearly the ones most delighted with the discount.

But for those who settled their fines promptly prior to the discount offer, there was huge disappointment as they felt it did not pay to be law-abiding.

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

Summons discount keeps traffic cops busy

Postby admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:31 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Motorists thronged the traffic police headquarters to take advantage of the two-week 50% discount for traffic summonses which began yesterday.

The Jalan Tun H.S. Lee station saw police being kept busy by motorists queuing to pay their fines.

The Star’s front-page report yesterday stated that a 50% discount was to encourage offenders to pay their summonses and aimed at reducing the backlog before the offenders were blacklisted starting Feb 28.

The 50% discount ends on Dec 14. After this date, the discount would be 30% until the end of the month.

Businessman Alvin Cheong, 52 said he came to know about the discount after reading the newspaper.

“I came two months ago but I could not settle the summons. I had expected the discount to happen again, so here I am,” he said.

Andrew Asir, 23 said he always waited for the police to announce such discounts.

However, he said he felt the police should open more counters.

“The police should open extra counters especially during discount periods like this one,” said Asir.

There were some in the queue who were unaware about the discount.

“I didn’t know there was a discount. I’m just here to settle a speeding summons,” said Nushratul Zahini Ghazali, 29.

In GEORGE TOWN, traffic offenders crowded the Patani Road police station.

Penang Municipal Council em­ployee Sahul Ahmid Ibrahim, 48, thanked the authorities for the offer.

“The discount is an incentive for us to pay up and I was surprised because I only expected a 30% discount at the most.”

Sahul paid RM265 after the discount for three summonses, which totalled RM530.

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

Dismay over 50% discount

Postby admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 am

PETALING JAYA: Motorists who settled their summonses promptly are now feeling “cheated” following the 50% discount offer for outstanding traffic tickets.

“It is unfair to people like me who paid up speedily two months ago,” said a motorist known only as Des.

“I should have listened to my wife who told me not to pay. It pays not to pay. She is right,” he said in a text message to The Star.

A number of road users sent similar text messages, expressing their dissatisfaction that their prompt settlement of the traffic fines had led them to miss out on the discount.

The Star reported yesterday that traffic offenders are given a 50% discount if they settle their summonses within two weeks. Those who pay up after the two-week grace period but by the end of the month will get a 30% discount.

The move is intended to reduce the backlog of summonses before the authorities blacklist traffic offenders from Feb 28.

The previous occasions discounts of varying degree have been offered on traffic summonses were in January and September 2005 and in July 2008.

Motorists were also allowed to appeal for discounts from district police chiefs between 2005 and 2008.

“The discount is bad. Look, there are more deaths on the road, and more indiscipline,” a motorist said.

Another reader of The Star, who called himself Patriot, said: “Traffic summonses have become a bargainable ‘product’, which is subject to discount offer.”

Another reader, who said he was now “getting smarter”, added: “I feel stupid for paying all my summonses on time.”

However, an online poll carried out by The Star revealed a different view. As of 10.15pm, about 62% of the 1,886 respondents said they welcomed the 50% discount.

Fomca chief executive officer Datuk Paul Selvaraj said traffic offenders should be given ample time to settle their traffic summonses.

He said the authorities should not limit the discount offer to a one or two-week period.

As for the motorists, he said they should not view the discount lightly as the bottom line was that they had broken the law.

“Those who were fined must pay up, otherwise, they must be prepared to face action,” he said.

Bus Operators Association president Datuk Ashfar Ali said the one-off discount was part of an ongoing campaign to clear the backlog of summonses.

Ashfar, who is on the summons committee headed by Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Sidek Hassan, said that beginning March, summonses would be categorised according to the offence.

The fine would increase if the summons was not settled within a certain period.

“My advice to motorists is to take advantage of this final discount and start the new year with a clean slate,” he said.

Car Rental Association Malaysia (CRAM) president Datuk Joshua Peter Tan Pin Pin concurred, saying:

“The Government has made it very clear that this is the last discount, so motorists should quickly clear their fines.”

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

Discounts for summonses for limited time only

Postby admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:41 pm

KUALA LUMPUR: Discounts for traffic summonses are for a limited time only, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein.

He said once the period for discounts had lapsed, there would be no room for negotiation.

“There will be no more room to debate to say that wrong is right. I hope the matter will be settled and we will be firm on this,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby here Thursday.

He said it was important for the message to get through that drivers must obey traffic rules and that no one was above the law.

However, he said the Government was aware of the public grouses over the 50% discount offer for the summonses.

On Wednesday, The Star reported that traffic offenders would be given a 50% discount if they settled their summonses within two weeks.

Those who paid up after the grace period but by the end of the month would get a 30% reduction.

The move is intended to reduce the backlog of summonses before the authorities start blacklisting traffic offenders from Feb 28.

In the past, the Government had offered discounts on traffic summonses of varying degrees in January and September 2005 and in July 2008.

Motorists were also allowed to appeal for discounts from district police chiefs between 2005 and 2008.

Summons payers wanted more counters to be open at the police traffic headquarters as massive crowds still continued to swarm in to pay their fines.

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

Return to Fine on traffic offenders & Traffic Summon Discount & Summon Deadline