Motorists disappointed over system crash

Fine reduction and discount, announcement by traffic police on discount for traffic saman, announcement on warrant of arrest for traffic offender, deadline for paying saman & etc etc

Motorists disappointed over system crash

Postby admin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 am

PETALING JAYA: Thousands of motorists missed the deadline to settle their summonses after computers at post offices could not connect to police computer servers because of heavy site traffic.

The Kelana Jaya post office reported that as at 4.45pm, its system was still out after crashing at noon.

The Ikano Power Centre Mutiara Damansara branch said its system had been down from 11am to 3pm and was slow when service resumed.

The post office at Giant, Kota Damansara, reported that the system was lagging severely and took about half an hour to process just one person’s fines.

“The system was down from 9am to 2.30pm and now it’s moving very slowly. We’re doing the best we can,” a staff member said.

Police stations nationwide, however, kept counters open until midnight.

Federal traffic police chief Datuk Abdul Aziz Yusof said motorists at police stations would have to queue up and wait their turn to pay.

“No queue numbers will be given,” he said yesterday evening.

Motorist Linda Khong, 55, said she had waited at the Mont Kiara post office from 11am to 1pm before heading over to the Amcorp Mall branch.

“Systems were down at both branches. The one in Amcorp Mall started moving again for 10 minutes at 2.35pm before crashing again,” she said, adding that she was on the way to another branch in PJ Old Town to try her luck at about 5pm.

Read the full article:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

No more extension

Postby admin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 am

PETALING JAYA: Beginning today, motorists will have to pay the full amount for their fines, failing which they will be barred from renewing their driving licences and road tax.

Road Transport Department licensing director Zaineah Lisut said they would be able to tell how many motorists would be blacklisted after taking into account summonses settled.

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

Trader pays RM13,620 for 270 summonses

Postby admin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:45 am

GEORGE TOWN: A businessman who was slapped with 270 summonses over a two-year period queued up at the George Town police district headquarters at 6am to pay his traffic summonses at a discount.

Lim Peng Kooi, 53, paid RM13,620 to settle the summonses for three vans and two cars registered under his and his wife’s names.

Lim said most of the summonses were issued for speeding and illegal parking from 2009 till now.

“I went to the district headquarters on Friday and was shocked to learn about the number of summonses. I went to settle it on Sunday but the queue was too long.

“I came early today but still, it took me half a day before I could settle them,” he said.

Lim was among thousands of motorists who spent long hours at district police headquarters and post offices before they could settle their summonses.

Many at post offices were also frustrated over disruptions to the system there.

Another early bird at the district police headquarters was Pakistani Muhammad Aleem, 40, who had 30 summonses for his car.

He had come at 5.30am but went for his breakfast after being told that the counter would only be opened at 8.30am.

“I wanted to pay my summonses on Sunday but the counter closed when my turn came.

Read the full article:
admin
Informer

No extension to pay summonses

Postby admin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 am

The 50 per cent discount deadline on traffic summonses ended yesterday.

KUALA LUMPUR: There will be no more extensions to motorists who failed to pay their summonses as of yesterday, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein.

He said sufficient grace period had been given for motorists to settle their outstanding summons.

"We already gave a grace period of six months and yet some people don't come forward. So what choice do we have left? We will only consider relaxing fines for those who were not in the wrong," he said yesterday after chairing a meeting in Putrajaya.

From today, errant motorists will have to pay the full summons fine if they want their names removed from the blacklist.

Those who did not settle their outstanding summonses will not be allowed to renew their road tax and driving licences.

As of last Thursday, there were some 15 million summonses issued between 2000 and 2008 -- 13.7 mil under police, 831,599 under KL City Hall and 434,003 under Road Transport Department -- still unpaid.

Due to high influx of motorists on the last day, counters at traffic police stations nationwide remained open until midnight yesterday to enable traffic summonses to be paid.

Several online systems had to cease operations temporarily for several hours due to last minute massive online traffic.

Sites such as www.rilek.com.my and www.rmp.gov.my could not be accessed to pay up outstanding summonses as of 4.30pm.

A notice on the respective sites said that police servers were running at maximum capacity and had to undergo urgent maintenance temporarily.

Post offices meanwhile, which had been operating after hours over the weekend, did not open after working hours.

PosNiaga chief operating officer Datuk Mearia Hamzah said about 700 counters were opened over the weekend to cater to motorists looking to settle their summonses at the last minute.

She said there would be no more extensions as Pos Malaysia staff had already worked long hours to meet the demand.

Meanwhile, long queues were the order of the day as those with outstanding summonses flocked to the post office and traffic police counters.

In Petaling Jaya, businessman, Daniel Chan, 33 said he went to the Petaling Jaya police station twice but found it crowded and unable to get a number to queue and pay his summonses.

"A lot of people were frustrated and complained about the inability to settle the summonses," he said.

In Butterworth, the Seberang Prai Selatan traffic police went the extra mile for those settling their summonses.

Led by its traffic chief, Chief Inspector Hamim Abdul Hamzah, he and his men distributed mineral waters to motorists as well as placed stand fans to cool-off those queuing up to pay.

The district police also opened an extra counter for motorists to check their the status of their summonses before proceeding to the payment counters.

In Kuching, the chaotic scene at the only traffic summons counter, proved to be too much for a 22-year-old women who collapsed and fainted in the midst of the crowd.

The woman later regained consciousness after being attended by her relatives.

"Everyone is pushing each other in there. There was no order at the counter, it was free for all," said Andy Lubong, 25, who came to settle his summons.

In Johor Baru, Lee Kuan Cheng, 22, skipped classes to pay his summonses.

He attempted to pay online for the past few days but the servers were unresponsive due to heavy traffic.

Government servant Mohd Faizul Ismail, 32, said he had been queuing for for more than four hours to make payment. He has overdue traffic summonses dating back to 2008.

Mahendran Maniam, 50, said it was ridiculous for the computer system to be disrupted due to a sudden surge in usage.

"I went to four post offices, and now the police station, just to give away my money. I am an old man, waiting under this blazing sun, and this may kill me," he said.

In Alor Star, the Kota Setar police district headquarters erected tents outside traffic counters for motorists and provided them drinks.

Its chief, ACP Adzaman Mohd Jan, said the move was made to assist the motorists as the weather was hot.

Motorists had their reasons as to why they sought to settle their summons at the last minute.

Fazliana Omar, 29, said she had to wait until the last minute to settle her summons as she was undergoing a practical training.

Read the full article:
http://www.nst.com.my/articles/4lgsumm/Article/
admin
Informer

Return to Fine on traffic offenders & Traffic Summon Discount & Summon Deadline