80kph speed limit for three months

Speed limit, Highway speeds limit, federal road speed limit and etc etc

80kph speed limit for three months

Postby admin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:38 am

PUTRAJAYA: Motorists on federal and state roads will have to abide by the 80kph speed limit for the next three months.

The Cabinet yesterday decided that the reduced speed limit would be extended to cover coming major festivals. This means it will be effective from Oct 17 to Jan 15.

And if the move is found to be effective in lowering the death toll on federal and state roads during the balik kampung rush, the reduced speed limit will be made a permanent fixture during festive seasons.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said there would be strict enforcement to ensure compliance with the reduced speed limit.

The reduction in the speed limit from 90kph to 80kph was announced last week.

The speed limit was to have just been for the week before Deepavali until the week after Hari Raya.

Chan also said commercial vehicles, except for those with permission, would be banned from roads on Oct 21, 22, 27 and 28. This was to ease traffic flow and reduce accidents involving commercial vehicles and smaller vehicles, he added.

He warned that a maximum fine of RM300 would be slapped on those who exceeded the speed limit, jump queue, beat the red light, use the emergency lane or overtake along double lines.

Offenders will not be allowed to appeal against the fine. The authorities will also take action against motorcyclists who do not use helmets and those who race or ride dangerously and switch lanes without signalling.

More than 6,000 policemen and Road Transport Department officers would be on duty during Ops Sikap XI, from Oct 16 to 31.

Unlike last year, traffic offenders will not be issued on-the-spot fines as the move was deemed impractical.

Asked about the review of the police proposal to reduce fines for most traffic offences by 50 to 70 per cent, Chan said it had been completed and would be referred to the Cabinet.

The proposal, made on Sept 4, was to encourage motorists to settle summonses and discourage the practice of bribing policemen. However, on Sept 6, the Cabinet reversed the decision by the police.

Chan later said that drivers could expect some reduction in the rates but the police and RTD had to discuss the matter further.

Source from:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/ ... index_html
admin
Informer

Consider other factors

Postby admin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 am

THE various speed limits currently set for highways, federal roads and state roads seem reasonable enough and should not be reduced.

It is not the speed limits at fault but rather the non-observance of traffic rules and regulations, including speeding by motorists, that often lead to accidents.

Therefore, what is necessary is stricter and sustained enforcement of the law.

There should not be any compromise in dealing with traffic offences.

Giving discounts or rebates on fines to offenders could have a negative effect on the efforts by the authority to promote road safety.

From my 47 years of experience driving throughout the country, I notice that motorists are becoming more indisciplined, more reckless, more unreasonable towards each other.

In dealing with safety on the roads, various other factors that also contribute to accidents should be looked into.

Properly placed road signs, conditions of the roads and density vis-a-vis the increasing number of vehicles on the roads are some.

The condition of vehicles allowed on the roads is also a factor that needs to be addressed.

ABDUL AZIZ SAAD, Shah Alam

Source from:
admin
Informer

Drivers must learn to check temper, arrogance, emotions

Postby admin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 am

REDUCING the speed limit by 10kmh on trunk roads will not bring down the number of casualties this festive season.

Even if we bring down the limit to 50kmh, who is to monitor the drivers?

Malaysia has some of the worst drivers in the world in terms of arrogance, selfishness and breaking the law when there are no enforcement officers around.

Will policemen be stationed every 100m or 200m on these roads to ensure the new speed new limit is adhered to?

What happens when we catch the culprits speeding? We give them a summons for which we will give a discount later?

Malaysians, it is your attitude that is killing you and your families. If you do not know how to control your temper, emotions, arrogance, no speed limit or enforcement can stop you from dying.

Maybe our reminder should be more blunt like “You speed, you die” not “Speed kills”.

Just like a road sign I saw in New Zealand recently: “The faster you drive, the bigger mess you make”.

MALAYSIAN ARAB,
Kuala Lumpur.

Source from:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... &sec=focus
admin
Informer

Road encounter: Look out for the slow ones

Postby admin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:03 am

I DOUBT very much that reducing the speed limit will reduce the accident rate during the festive season as those who are law breakers will continue to drive at the speed they wish; it will not make a difference to them if it is 90km/h or 190km/h.

Sometimes, a person keeping to the speed limit decides to stick to the middle lane or fast lane, leading the exasperated driver behind to overtake on the left and this may cause an accident.

I urge the authorities to clamp down on all infringements of road regulations, including driving slowly in the middle lane when there is no car in the slow lane.

If one drives on the Mont Kiara road towards the Kerinchi link or uses the Elite Highway, one gets so irritated by the slow moving vehicles in the middle and fast lanes, mostly taxis, lorries and smaller cars. One can stop and have a picnic on the left slow lane as no one will be using it.

Hogging the fast lane is also a traffic offence, isn’t it? Sometimes we exceed the speed limit just to get past those driving at a snail’s pace.

Road discipline in totality is required to stop mayhem on the road; just concentrating on speed alone may not be enough.

Source from:
admin
Informer

Return to Speeding Limit