JOHOR BARU: The Cabinet will decide at its weekly meeting next Wednesday whether to allow the scheduled increase in toll rates on Jan 1 or compensate the highway concessionaires to the tune of RM380mil for one year.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the Government would consider the views of all quarters on the question of compensation.
He spoke to reporters at the launch of the Territorial Army companies for Johor parliamentary constituencies after he was asked about Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu's statement on Thursday that the Government would have to pay a RM380mil compensation to the highway concessionaires if it did not allow the increase in the toll rates.
Samy Vellu said in Kuala Lumpur yesterday that a study would be made of three options and the best would be adopted at the Cabinet meeting.
One of the options is the RM380mil compensation.
He did not reveal the others.
He said the proposal paper had been presented to the Cabinet.
Eight highway concessionaires are scheduled to raise their toll rates on Jan 1 and one on Oct 1. – Bernama
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation