Selangor gives go-ahead for toll-free road to open

All about road blocks, police patrols, festive driving, balik kampung and etc etc

What do you think of it, who is right and who is wrong?

Resident is right, Grand Saga Sucks.
2
33%
Resident is too fussy, Grand Saga is just doing business.
0
No votes
Resident have the rights, but this is Malaysia, every thing have to pay.
1
17%
The fault is on the developer, Narajaya, they should settle this or compensate.
2
33%
There is a conspiracy, smells like kopi.
1
17%
No comment...
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 6

Pakatan Rakyat accused of lawlessness

Postby admin » Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 am

THE Pakatan Rakyat has been accused of condoning lawlessness.
Datuk Tiong King Sing (BN-Bintulu) said MPs from PR had supported a group of Bandar Mahkota Cheras residents in removing the barriers placed across an access road to the Kajang-Cheras highway.

The road was built by Narajaya Sdn Bhd, the developer of the Bandar Mahkota Cheras township, to ensure speedy access to the highway.

However, Grand Saga, the highway's concessionaire, was against the access road as it would bypass the Batu 11 toll plaza.

Bandar Mahkota Cheras motorists would have to pay a 90 sen toll if there was no access road.
The road, built three years ago, was barricaded upon completion due to the tussle between Grand Saga and Narajaya.

However, 10 days ago, residents and elected representatives from PR removed the barriers.

Tiong demanded to know from Lim Kit Siang (DAP-Ipoh Timur) if he condoned such lawlessness from his party men.

"Is this not abuse of power?" he asked during the debate on the King's speech.

Lim Lip Eng (DAP-Segambut), who was present at the Cheras incident at the end of last month, interjected and said they did not take the law into their hands.

Teo Nie Ching (DAP-Serdang), who was also there, defended her role and said that it was within the prerogative of the state government to remove the barriers.

Kit Siang said he was not aware of what his party men had done.

"I don't know about this," he said brushing aside Tiong's claim that the DAP leaders had been involved in an unlawful act.

Later, Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said at the lobby of Parliament that the state government did not condone an illegal act.

"The state would not like to break the law," he said adding that the people were seeking to expedite the decision-making process involved in opening the access road. He added the state government wanted to find an amicable solution.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html
admin
Informer
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Standoff over Cheras barrier

Postby admin » Wed May 28, 2008 2:05 am

KUALA LUMPUR: Tensions ran high at Bandar Mahkota, Cheras, when hundreds of residents gathered to remove a barricade which was rebuilt early yesterday to prevent access into the area.

Four people were arrested in the incident.

Grand Saga Sdn Bhd, the concessionaire of the Cheras-Kajang Highway, had reconstructed the barricade after it was taken down by the residents a few weeks ago.

A fracas ensued at about 7.15pm when a group of unidentified men armed with sticks and helmets attacked the residents. Several residents were taken to hospital.

Also injured was a photographer from Utusan Malaysia, Roy Azis Abdul Aziz, who was beaten up when he tried to snap some photographs.

Several cars parked at the roadside were also smashed by the group.

The group of men sat on the blocks, not allowing the residents to remove them and threatened to attack those who tried to go near the barricade. However, the group disappeared when the police arrived later.

On May 8, about 1,000 residents from the nearby areas demonstrated at Bandar Mahkota Cheras.

Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Shakaruddin Che Mood said Grand Saga Business Development and Corporate Affairs executive director Zainal Abidin Ali had written to him on Monday informing that they would rebuild the barricade, and requested for security.

However, ACP Shakaruddin rejected the request as there was no court order on the matter.

Grand saga contractors started to rebuild the barricade at 12.30am and finished at about 6pm. Zainal Abidin said the barricade was built on an “indisputable area” within Grand Saga’s boundaries.

Until last night, five of the injured had lodged reports at the Kajang police headquarters.

One of the victims, who only wanted to be known as Ina, said she and her husband with their four-year-old son were watching the drama when a group of men suddenly attacked them.

A resident, who only wanted to be known as Ken, said he was hit by a helmet and a pipe on his neck and back.

“I was only watching them pairing down the concrete sledge when suddenly a bunch of people arrived and started beating everyone up. I ran after I was beaten several times but some others were injured quite badly,” said the 28-year-old.

Another resident Kenny Ki, 45, said a group of men came in two cars and five motorbikes.

The residents disperse at 7.45pm but gathered again later to remove the barricades.

At 10pm, the Federal Reserve Unit arrived in three trucks and two water canon trucks and gave three warnings to the residents to disperse.

At press time, only a handful of people were still gathering a distance away from the barricade and several policemen remained.

By RASHITHA A. HAMID, FAZLEENA AZIZ and ELIZABETH LOOI
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Saga continues as barricades rebuilt

Postby admin » Wed May 28, 2008 2:08 am

AN unfamiliar group turned up as “observers” as workers from Grand Saga Sdn Bhd, the concessionaire of the Cheras-Kajang highway, reconstructed the barrier at the access road in Bandar Mahkota Cheras yesterday.

Residents who were monitoring the work done by the workers said they were surprised by the presence of this third group.

The group comprising about 20 male individuals left at about noon and appeared again an hour later when the cement was being laid.

Some of the residents who were at the scene claimed the third group were likely “thugs” hired to deal with residents who might stop the workers from doing their job.

The reconstruction of the barrier began as early as 2am with workers assembling concrete boulders to block the access road.

Image
Blocked: Some of the concrete blocks that have been placed on the access road.

Raymond Yap, 54, a resident Bandar Mahkota said that reconstructing the barricade was not a wise move .

“We would still have to pay toll because many people here need to use the highway.

“There are at least 30,000 people living here and so you can imagine the volume of cars going in and out. We have to drive about 10km via Bandar Sg Long road, which is a waste of fuel.

“I do not understand how is it that they can block the road which is on state government’s land,” he said, urging the state government to help resolve this problem as soon as possible.

National MCA Youth committee member Loh Chew June hopes that a mutual agreement can be achieved for the sake of the long-suffering residents.

“The state and Federal governments should put their political differences aside and see the problem from the residents’ point of view,” said Loh, who also urged the residents to be calm in dealing with the situation and avoid confrontation.

According to a Grand Saga spokesperson, the company was not aware of any group that was monitoring the reconstruction of the barrier.

He added that the residents were free to make a police report if they felt threatened by the presence of any individuals.

By FAZLEENA AZIZ
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?f ... ec=central
admin
Informer
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Residents try to remove new barriers

Postby admin » Wed May 28, 2008 4:03 am

Bandar Mahkota Cheras dispute: Residents try to remove new barriers

KUALA LUMPUR: Residents of Bandar Mahkota Cheras yesterday again tried to remove concrete barriers placed at the entrance of the housing estate, this time leading to a scuffle which left five people injured.
The five included three members of the media who tried to act as peacemakers during the scuffle.

The residents have been protesting against the placing of concrete barriers at the entrance of the housing estate from the Cheras-Kajang highway.

The housing developer had argued that the plans had included a slip road from the housing estate to the highway, but Grand Saga Sdn Bhd, the highway concessionaire, has disputed this.

On May 8, police had to use water cannon and tear gas to disperse a gathering when it turned unruly.
In yesterday's impromptu gathering, some 1,000 residents tried to remove the barriers which had again been placed at the entrance.

When a group of unidentified people arrived, a scuffle broke out, leading to the five being injured.

Five police reports were lodged, three of which were from the injured newsmen. Of the five victims, two suffered severe injuries to the head and arms.

Federal Reserve Unit personnel arrived about 10pm and dispersed the crowd.

By : Lee Shi-Ian
http://www.nst.com.my/Wednesday/Nationa ... index_html
admin
Informer
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur

BMC fracas: Police beat up youth

Postby admin » Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 am

By his account, he was only a curiosity-seeker who wanted to know what was going on at the site of a disputed barricade near Bandar Mahkota Cheras (BMC) last night.

In no time at all, however, Chang Jiun Haur was soaked in his own blood after being repeatedly beaten by 20 riot squad (FRU) personnel armed with batons and boots with steel toes.

Chang, 21, his sister and two friends were driving away from the site of the barricade about 11.30pm, when their car was surrounded by police personnel who had earlier dealt with a fracas involving BMC residents.

A high-ranking police officer at the scene claimed that Chang had run over a FRU personnel with his car, and that the police reacted to this.

“He asked for it. He ran over a policeman and he got what he deserved,” the officer told Malaysiakini a few minutes after the incident.

Asked to identify the personnel, the officer had initial difficulty in persuading the individual to come forward. When he did so, the man claimed: “He tried to run me over...look at my baton, it is broken. What more evidence do you want?”

However, a police officer who took Chang to the Kajang Hospital said none of the personnel had been hit by the latter’s car.

Chang denied this as well: “We had just come back (to Kuala Lumpur) from Port Dickson and wanted to see what was going on.”

He was lying on a bed, with a bloodied mouth. His shirt had been torn off by the police, and his shorts were drenched in blood. He was crying from the shock and trauma, and was unable to say much more.

It is learnt that Chang was placed in the intensive care unit. The other occupants of his car were arrested last night, but were released today according to BMC Open Road Committee chairperson Tan Boon Hwa who has been keeping tabs on last night’s dramatic events.

DAP Selangor executive councillor Ronnie Liu, who visited Chang later, said the police had over-reacted and that the excessive use of force could not be justified.

“The police should maintain law and order and not assault people. I am disappointed. My party will provide Chang and the others with lawyers,” Liu said.

‘Journalists attacked’

Chinese-language dailies reported today that more than 10 people were seriously injured in yesterday’s incident, which saw BMC residents assaulted by ‘thugs’ allegedly hired by toll concessionaire Grand Saga.

However, the company has disassociated itself from the incident, also saying it does not condone violence.

About 7pm yesterday, defiant residents attempted to tear down the barricade that had just been rebuilt, but were confronted by unidentified men armed with iron rods, helmets and sticks.

“They attacked the residents immediately. About 10 people were assaulted and three of them were reporters. Their cameras were confiscated as well,” claimed Tan.

Star reported that Utusan Malaysia photographer Roy Azis Abdul Aziz had been beaten up when he tried to take photos of the fracas.

BMC resident Chin Kee Chong’s right arm was broken (right) and he suffered injuries to his head, while another resident - Lee Ah Seng - sustained severe injuries to his head.

Some residents claimed that several policemen present during the incident had failed to intervene.

Kajang police chief Shakaruddin Che Mood, however, said they were only traffic policemen whom he had sent to the area for traffic control.

“They were too busy controlling traffic and could not do anything,” he told reporters, adding that five police reports have been lodged on the assault.

Grand Saga has been involved in a long-running dispute over its bid to block a toll-free access road from BMC to the Cheras-Kajang Highway. The barricade has been rebuilt on three occasions, after being torn down by residents.

The Selangor menteri besar's political secretary, Nik Nazmi Nik Ali, has said that a response will be issued today over last night’s incident.

Syed Jaymal Zahiid
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/83561
admin
Informer
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Previous

Return to Road Blocks, Police Patrol, Festive Driving & Balik Kampung

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

  • Lazada Malaysia Lazada Malaysia Lazada Malaysia Lazada Malaysia
cron