KUALA LUMPUR: Within minutes yesterday, residents of Bandar Mahkota Cheras collected RM700 to hire a lorry to remove the concrete slab barricade set up by toll concessionaire Grand Saga Sdn Bhd.
A crowd of more than 50 people started gathering at the site at noon.
For more than two hours, they tried to push the concrete slabs using their bare hands and steel bars for leverage, but to no avail.
At one point, they tried to sledgehammer their way through the cement foundation and slabs, but that, too, was not effective.
At this juncture, some men in the crowd started "passing the hat around" and within minutes, they collected RM700.
About 4pm, a lorry arrived at the scene. Fastening a chain from the lorry to the barrier, the lorry pulled down several concrete slabs. Several people in the crowd tried to prevent photographers from taking pictures.
Meanwhile, Kajang police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Shakaruddin Che Mood said police are investigating claims by the residents that thugs were involved in the scuffle over the barricade on Tuesday night.
"We have no proof that thugs were involved. We will investigate the residents' claims."
He said six police reports have been lodged so far, three of which were by members of the media.http://www.nst.com.my/Thursday/National ... index_html