The MCA today condemned the use of violence against Bandar Mahkota Cheras residents who have been holding protests to voice their objection to a road barrier being erected along the Cheras-Kajang Highway, which prevented toll-free access to their homes.
MCA vice president Datuk Ong Tee Keat said he had already met members of the Bandar Mahkota Cheras Action Committee and received complaints that violence had been used in order to stop the residents from dismantling the barrier. "I am dismayed that several residents from the housing estate were hurt by irresponsible people under the full glare of the police. "I’m going to follow up the case with the Selangor Chief Police Officer and the Inspector-General of Police over the incident. Any attempt by any quarters to bring in thugs or mobs to threaten the public must never be condoned,” he told Bernama here today. "As residents and property owners, they deserve the right to make their voices heard. Whether they are members of any political parties or not, that is secondary but the point here is that the use of violence must never be allowed,” said Ong, who is also Selangor MCA chairman.
On Tuesday, about a dozen residents, including a photographer from a local Malay daily were injured after they were beaten by a group of people who tried to prevent the residents from dismantling the barrier, which was erected by a contractor engaged by the toll operator, Grand Saga Sdn Bhd.
The residents have accused the toll operator of hiring thugs armed with sticks to stop them from tearing down the barrier.
The toll operator has since denied that they hired thugs. Police have launched an investigation to identify those responsible.
Alan Ting, BERNAMAhttp://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html