Take photos of traffic offenders, send them to JPJ

Take photos of traffic offender and get rewarded...

Take photos of traffic offenders, send them to JPJ

Postby admin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:02 am

MALACCA: Be a traffic warden this festive season. If you see motorists breaking road regulations, take a photograph or video of them and send it to the Road Transport Department (JPJ).

JPJ director-general Datuk Emran Kadir wants the public to help his officers ensure the roads are safe during the Deepavali and Hari Raya periods, when the number of vehicles is expected to triple.

Take a photo with your camera phone or digital camera and e-mail the image to kpjpj@jpj.gov.my, he said, but make sure that it’s done by the passenger and not the driver, otherwise he too would be violating traffic rules.

Reports on errant motorists could also be made via the JPJ website (www.jpj.gov.my) or at any JPJ office, he added.

Emran said offences to watch out for include driving on the emergency lane, queue cutting, overtaking on double lines, jumping the red light, etc.

He said the JPJ could haul up offenders under the Road Transport Act.

“I hope that those who send in the pictures will be prepared to act as witness if the driver decides to challenge the photo,” he said.

Last year, when travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Alor Gajah here during the festive season, Emran managed to capture a total of 171 traffic offences.

“I took all the photographs. When my handphone couldn’t capture anymore pictures, I used my children’s handphone,” he told newsmen yesterday after handing out 500 jackets with reflectors to motorcyclists at Bandaraya Mall in Ayer Keroh.

For this coming festive season, leave for 1,200 JPJ enforcement officers and 4,000 policemen would be frozen, said Emran.

“They are the ones who sacrifice their holidays so that the public will have a smooth balik kampung.”

During Deepavali and Hari Raya last year, 223 people were killed on the roads, and of this number, 141 were on motorcycles.

Emran urged motorcyclists to wear reflective jackets as an added safety feature, apart from wearing helmets and driving carefully,

He also said that there would be no discount on fines for traffic offences such as speeding, driving on emergency lanes, overtaking on double lines and beating traffic lights committed between Oct 17 and 31.

“They will get the maximum fine of RM300,” he warned.

By LEE YUK PENG

Source from:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation
admin
Informer

Return to Take Photos