PETALING JAYA: Sixteen toll concession agreements can now be viewed at the Works Ministry’s library but the public will not be allowed to make copies of the documents just yet.
The Highway Authority of Malaysia director-general, Datuk Mohamad Razali Othman, said the public had to fill up a form and would be allowed two hours of viewing time.
“This is to allow others to view the concession agreements while cutting down on the waiting period.”
He said that copies of the agreement could not be distributed until Section 3 of the Fees Act (1951) had been amended to enable the collection of fees.
The concession agreements that were released yesterday includes those involving LDP, Guthrie, Sprint, Besraya, Ampang-Kuala Lumpur Elevated Highway, SMART, NNKSB, Metramac, KESAS, Grand Saga, Lebuhraya Pintas Selat Klang Baru, NPE, MTD, Penang Bridge, SILK and BORR.
Reporters who were allowed 30 minutes to view the document yesterday found that the Government had revised the LDP agreement, allowing the company to share the profits with the Government equitably if the income from toll collection is higher than the projected income.
Under the KESAS concession, the Government had paid compensation totalling RM150mil due to the lowering of the toll fees and the Government has to extend the concession contract for another year to 2021, and the BORR expressway company paid RM50mil to the Government for securing the concession.
Meanwhile, the Sistem Lingkaran-Lebuhraya Kajang Sdn Bhd’s projected income from toll collection is expected to reach RM146.63mil for the year 2008 and hit RM835.94mil when the contract expires in 2036.
On Oct 17 last year, the Cabinet agreed to declassify the concession agreements, and the decision was mutually accepted by the concessionaires except for Maju Expressway Bhd.
CAP president S.M. Mohd Idris said the public would need time to study the documents as they were lengthy and technical.
Read the full article:http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi ... sec=nation