Traffic lights badly needed to prevent accidents

Potholes and manholes here and there... road bump, road hump, damaging our vehicle and endangering our life... Rubbish along the road... Road in bad condition etc and all about traffic light.

Traffic lights badly needed to prevent accidents

Postby admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:50 am

Traffic lights badly needed to prevent accidents in front of Sentul Pasar

After a tiring day at work, M. Muthuraman, 43, packed his belongings at the florist shop in Pasar Sentul and made his way across the busy street only to be hit by a speeding motorcyclist.

Flung some 15m away, the Indian national broke his hands, wrist, legs, ribs and suffered injuries to other parts of his body in the accident that occurred on Dec 4.

Muthuraman was in a coma for two weeks before regaining consciousness.

He spent months recuperating in the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

His employer, R. Vijayakumaran, has already spent some RM15,000 in medical fees for Muthuraman..

Vijayakumaran said accidents on Jalan Sentul Pasar had been a cause for concern among shoppers for many years.

“Almost every month there is an accident here. The roads are so busy and the human traffic overwhelming. There is no semblance of order and everything is chaotic,” he added.

In an article published by StarMetro on

June 5, 2009 under the heading “Pasar Sentul operators hit by poor business”, the lack of traffic lights in front of the market was highlighted.

After a series of complaints to Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), a zebra crossing was placed there together with a warning light.

However, most motorists do not take heed of the warning lights or stop at the zebra crossing. They just speed by despite seeing shoppers lining up to cross.

During a recent check by StarMetro, elderly shoppers were spotted stranded in the middle of the road for some 10 minutes waiting for a chance to cross.

S. Rukumani, 80, said motorists never stopped for senior citizens and it was difficult for them to run across carrying heavy bundles.

“My arms ache because I have to wait so long while carrying the groceries. However, I’d rather wait for the cars to clear. It is scary to run across like the younger ones do,” she said.

Rukumani and Vijayakumaran are both asking for traffic lights to be installed to ensure cars stop for pedestrians.

Vijayakumaran said most of the shoppers vent their frustrations with traders like him but many did not know where to complain.

“This place is busy both during the day and night, so we need traffic lights to ensure the people’s safety.

Read the full article:
http://www.starproperty.my/PropertyScen ... /11543/0/0
admin
Informer

Return to Pothole / Manhole / Road Bump / Road Hump / Dirty Road / Road in Bad Condition / Traffic Light